OPA: 25% of Covid fund remains unused



The government of Guam has expended $88.6 million of the Coronavirus Relief Fund for Covid-19 related purchases as of Dec. 31, 2020, accounting for 75 percent of the $118 million awarded by the U.S. Treasury.


"This is a $15 million increase from $72.9 million expenditures in November 2020," the Office of Public Accountability said in a newly released report.


OPA said the majority of the increases were for miscellaneous ($8.5 million), salaries and wages ($3.8 million) and contractual services ($2.6 million).


"GovGuam utilized 75 percent of the CRF and authorization was extended for the remaining 25 percent to be spent until Dec. 31, 2021," OPA said.


The report shows 24 GovGuam entities that expended more than $100,000 of the CRF.

Total economic relief programs increased by $3.3 million in December with the Small Business Rent Assistance Program payment of $2.8 million representing the biggest change, OPA said.


The Covid Relief Fund was a component of the $2.2 trillion economic stimulus package under CARES Act, which the U.S. Congress enacted in March 2020 to help mitigate the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic.

UnderPublicLaw35-86,OPAismandatedtoaudittheCRFexpenditures

"This report is for informational purposes only. We did not apply any audit procedures to substantiate the figures presented," OPA said. "Total expenditures herein may not represent the complete balance as of Dec. 31, 2020. Other balances may not have been entered into DOA’s accounting system as of Jan. 12, 2021."