Acting Gov. Joshua F. Tenorio and Joint Region Marianas Deputy Commander Brig. Gen. Gentry Boswell have placed Guam and the island’s military installations, respectively, under Condition of Readiness (COR) 2 as of 4 p.m. this afternoon.
COR 2 means Guam can expect tropical storm-force winds of 35-47 mph within 24 hours.
As of 1 p.m. Typhoon Wutip was located near latitude 8.5N and longitude 146.7E, and about 365 miles south-southeast of Guam. Wutip is moving west-northwest at a speed of 14 mph.
The storm is expected to make a slight turn to the northwest. Maximum sustained winds are now at 110 mph. Its intensity is forecast to slowly strengthen over the next 36 hours.
The onset of damaging winds of 35-47 mph is anticipated at 9 a.m. Saturday with Wutip’s closest point of approach (CPA) expected around midnight Saturday into early Sunday morning. Damaging winds may last until Sunday afternoon.
“The winds of this storm may not sound very strong, but the long duration of damaging winds will definitely impact our island,” Tenorio said. “I encourage everyone to prepare for a possible worst-case scenario and seek shelter. Everyone’s safety during this storm is of utmost importance. I want to assure the people of Guam that we are taking the necessary precautions to prepare for every possible outcome.”
Military Installations Andersen Air Force Base:
The following locations will be closed from Friday, Feb. 22 until Sunday, Feb. 24: Education Center, Library, Arts and Crafts, Auto Hobby Shop, Bamboo Willies, Sunset Cove, Tickets and Travel, Outdoor Recreation, Post Office, Airman and Family Readiness Center, Child Development Center, School Age Program, Teen Center, Meridian Café, Golf Course, Liberty Center, Pet Lodge
The following locations may reopen Sunday, pending damage assessment:
Meridian Café, Golf Course, Liberty Center, Pet Lodge Bowling Center – Open Friday, Feb. 22 from 6:30-11 p.m. 2 Coral Reef Fitness Center – Open Friday, Feb. 22 until 10 p.m., and open 24 hours Saturday, Feb. 23 and Sunday, Feb. 24. U.S. Naval Base Guam The following locations will close at normal hours Friday, Feb. 22 through Saturday, Feb. 23: MWR, Orote Commissary and Navy Exchange facilities
If weather conditions improve, they may open later in the day Saturday.
What should you do:
· Stay up to date – monitor local news, National Weather Service and the Joint Information Center
· If you have not done so, put up shutters now. Do not wait for winds to increase.
· If you have not done so, clear loose debris around your yard and store any items that may become airborne with heavy winds such as canopies, tarps and trampolines, before inclement weather arrives.
· Make emergency preparedness kits readily available, with battery operated radio, flashlights and extra batteries.
· Secure important documents such as birth certificates, tax papers, and insurance documents and keep copies in a water-proof bag · Unplug all appliances and ensure energy breakers are switched off once damaging winds approach
· If you live in an area prone to flooding, cover beds and furniture with plastic to prevent water damage
· Do your laundry now
· Ensure pets are part of your emergency plans (i.e. have enough supplies, bring them indoors, plan to keep them with a loved one or family member)
· Take down any temporary signs, including those for political campaigns, advertisements, and any other wooden or loosely placed items that have the ability to lift in heavy winds and cause damage to life and property
· Conduct all preparedness activities this evening, as damaging winds will impact the island as early as Saturday morning
· Do not camp, park, or hike along streams, rivers, and creeks during heavy rainfall. These areas can flood quickly and with little warning.
· When you’re done securing your homes and you know someone elderly, living with a disability, or who will need help, please see how you can help them.
If you know a neighbor who has no way of getting information about the storm, please let your neighbor know what the updates are.
Emergency shelters are now open: North Astumbo Elementary School Machanaonao Elementary School Central George Washington High School South Harry S. Truman Elementary School Inarajan Middle School