top of page
  • Writer's pictureAdmin

Catching Covid-19 and thoughts of a eulogy

Daydream By Diana G. Mendoza

Manila—The New Year greeted me with the flu. I had chills the day after the last sound of firecrackers died down. It got worse in the following days with cough and chills, then the headache and body pains.

I thought of the coronavirus pandemic and how Covid-19 mimics the common cold and the more disabling flu. Before Christmas, I remember passing by a newly installed testing pod in my neighborhood offering the antigen exam, so I thought of having myself checked for the coronavirus. That morning, there was a long line at the testing site. A flu outbreak was in the news and drugstores ran out of paracetamol and analgesics.

The three-member testing team was obviously undermanned as there were 60 people when I joined the line. They could test only 40 at the time so I left and went back at noon. After my test, I went home again to lie down as I had a fever.

I went back at dusk for the test results. I forgot about it for a while as I had to do my work-from-home job, but I tested positive for Covid-19.


It was the first week of the year and I was out standing in line for a test while monitoring the progress of my work from my cellphone. What a way to start a new year, being hit with the hyper-treacherous virus that causes what many survivors now call the “flu on steroids.”

As my co-workers and friends were checking on each other, I told them about my positive test. There were comforting messages to be well and of prayers and healing. Some friends asked me what they could send me via delivery – food, essential oils, a book, a plant, a teddy bear. A friend offered prayers and intentions to the Black Nazarene, which was being celebrated in the Catholic church’s calendar that week.

In between sneezes, sniffles and coughing, I self-managed with my munitions of paracetamol and analgesics, throat and nasal spray, and hot lemon-ginger-honey drink. What I was feeling did not match the symptoms of the treacherous flu but I followed the health department’s advice on isolation, quarantine and home care.

I chatted with friends who also either tested positive or thought they also had the virus. One friend talked about us dying, and went ahead to entrust me with her eulogy; in turn she will write mine in case I die first. I told her that it would be difficult to capture her entire life in a few paragraphs.


I suddenly remembered that the most difficult few words I had ever written was the DNR (do-not-resuscitate) order on my family’s behalf for my terminally ill mother who has been in a coma in the ICU for weeks.

As there was a surge of cases, the government reminded anew the restrictions to mask up and to stay away from each other. When I felt better, I went outside for my regular walk. Once again, the streets were quiet and empty; some establishments were closed.

As I was walking, I thought of other people who lost their homes to a devastating typhoon so they spent a desolate Christmas, or the people I meet on the streets who ask for financial help because they’re struggling.

In this world that is constantly blasted with the science of a virus and its variants, I was sick but alive, and lucky.

I forgot about the eulogy. Perhaps not today.

Diana G. Mendoza is a longtime journalist based in Manila. Send feedback to

Subscribe to

our digital

monthly edition

댓글 1개

익명 회원
2022년 9월 12일

Are you looking for the best If so, you've come to the right place. Choose from over 50 different games and bet your way to the top. You don't need to be a high roller, our games are perfect for everyone: from the casual player to the high roller.

bottom of page