Winds and rain will start to pick up Friday evening
As of 4 a.m., Typhoon Wutip was located at latitude 7.7 degrees north and longitude 148.1 degrees east latitude, about 460 miles south-southeast of Guam and 535 miles south-southeast of Saipan; moving west-northwest at 8 mph with maximum sustained winds now at 100 mph.
Typhoon-force strength winds extend outward from the center up to 35 miles and tropical-storm force winds extend outward from the center up to 150 miles.
Wutip is expected to make a slight turn toward the northwest with an increase in forward speed over the next 24 hours.
What to Expect on its Current Track
• Winds and rain will start to pick up as early as Friday evening
• The onset of damaging winds of 35-45 mph with possible gusts up to 60 mph are expected as early as Saturday morning around sunrise and are expected to last all the way through Sunday morning
• The closest point of approach (CPA) is expected around midnight Saturday with the typhoon being 130 miles southwest of Guam at its CPA
• The onset of sustained destructive winds of 58 mph or more are not expected at this time
• The worst conditions will be Saturday night into Sunday morning
• Rainfall of 4-6 inches is expected during Wutip’s passage Any northward shift of the current storm would bring higher winds and larger rainfall amounts to the island. The community is advised to stay up to date with the latest advisories and watch for any flood advisories.