Guam's Catholic school shuts due to severe drop in enrollment
By Pacific Island Times News Staff
The Archdiocese of Agaña today announced "with much sadness" that San Vicente Catholic School will shut down effective immediately due to a severe drop in student enrolment.
The archdiocese said there is no recourse but to close the 67-year-old school because student enrollment has dropped by more than 50 percent.
Enrollment at San Vicente plunged severely from 107 students last year to just 39 last week.
School officials said the number increased a bit this week but not enough to adequately fill classes and sustain operations. The archdiocese said it is not able to support the school financially.
Three advisory groups, the Archdiocesan Finance Council, Presbyteral Council and the college of consultors last Friday all recommended the shutdown.
"The final decision now comes after several recent meetings with alumni, including one on Tuesday. We express gratitude to members of the San Vicente alumni who came together, focused on seeing they could find a solution in the 11th hour," the archdiocese said. "However, absent an immediate large, upswing in student enrollment and infusion of funds, San Vicente must close its doors."
Father Val Rodriguez, the Catholic school superintendent, will work with administrators of other Catholic schools to help transition and families and parents need to make immediate arrangements for the education of their children.